Monday, January 31, 2011

Ageless Beauty – Fair and Balanced

SpecialChem, one of the industry forums to which I subscribe, recently ran an opinion poll. The question was, “What are the most probable opportunities and threats the Cosmetics world will face in 2011?”

I hope it’s alright to quote one of the responses anonymously. This comment by an R&D chemist is just so pithy and prescient that I want to share it with you.

“I feel the biggest threat to the Cosmetic business will be ignorance. Non-qualified people passing judgment on ingredients and products. Not just the public but journalists and commentators with no, or even worse, little scientific knowledge discussing the Cosmetic designs of qualified and trained people. When will people realize it is not in our best interest to use 'dangerous' ingredients - why would we want to kill off our client base!!?”

I hope I don’t fall into the worst category – those who comment with insufficient scientific knowledge. I gladly admit that I took only the required science and biology courses in high school and college. Also I did a minor in statistics for my Master’s Degree.

When I find my scientific grasp lacking, I look to the experts like SpecialChem, Paula Begoun’s Beautypedia Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary, medical journals and medical experts whom I admire, like board-certified dermatologists Dr. Nicholas Perricone and Dr. Audrey Kunin.

I shy away from sources that are highly politicized like the Environmental Working Group who would have you believe that almost everything compounded in a lab is dangerous and carcinogenic.

I’ve even had two or three cosmetic chemists reach out to tell me I’m doing a fair and balanced job. I really appreciate that.

I’d love to hear what you think about the product reviews you find on Ageless Beauty.

Tags:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More